Hundreds Of Free Knitting Patterns And So Much More
Barbara Breiter's Knitting On The Net
Sign up for the free newsletter
Mitten Christmas Ornament Knitting PatternDesigned by Catherine Vardy Knit by Sarah Bradberry. Materials
double knitting weight yarn (approximately 5.5 sts per inch on 4mm needles) 4mm (6 US), 3.5mm (4 US) needles for tighter ribbing if desired Note: You can also experiment and use finer or thicker yarn for this. This mitten is knit on two needles but could also be knit in the round for those who want a challenge. (Remember to change all purl rows to knit rows and vice versa). Instructions
With 4mm needles, cast on 23 sts.
Purl 2 rows.
Knit 7 rows in stockinette stitch, remembering to keep the purl ridge on the outside of the mitten. We will embroider this later.
K2tog, k9, k2tog, k8, k2tog (you now have 20 sts). Ribbing
Change to 3.5mm needles (if desired) and rib in k1p1 for 4 rows.
Change back to 4 mm needles (if required) and knit 4 rows stockinette stitch. Thumb Gusset
1) K8, M1R, k1, M1R, knit to end of row (M1R = Make 1 st with raised increase)
3) K8, M1R, k3, M1R, knit to end of row
5) K8, M1R, k5, M1R, knit to end of row
6) Purl K15, turn so that purl side is facing you.
P7, turn so that knit side is facing you.
Knit 4 rows stockinette stitch on these 7 sts.
K2tog all across row (4 sts left), break yarn and thread through stitches.
Join yarn, pick up and knit one stitch on each side of thumb, and knit to end of row.
P11, p2tog, p8 (you should have 20 sts again)
Knit 8 rows stockinette stitch. Top Shaping
1) K1, sl 1, k1, psso, k4, k2tog, k2, sl1, k1, psso, k4, k2tog, k1
3) K1, sl 1, k1, psso, k2, k2tog, k2, sl1, k1, psso, k2, k2tog, k1
5) K1, sl 1, k1, psso, k2tog, k2, sl1, k1, psso, k2tog, k1 Cast off remaining 8 sts, or graft them together. Sew thumb and side seams.
Embroider purl row ridge at edge of cuff. ©Catherine Vardy Photo ©Sarah Bradberry and used with her permission. See Abbreviations and the Glossary for help.